PET scans require very specific preparations and will vary depending on the type of scan. A trained PET scheduler will review each case, answer any questions that the patient may have, and provide instructions based on the type of PET examination that has been ordered.
Some preparations that are common among most PET/CT scans include:
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing without zippers or metal buttons.
- A modified diet, usually limiting carbohydrates, 24 hours before your exam.
- Avoiding exercise 24 hours before your exam.
- Nothing to eat or drink, except water, for 6 hours prior to your exam. Do not suck or chew candy, gum, cough drops, or mints.
- DO take regularly scheduled, prescription medications unless otherwise instructed. If you are diabetic, take your diabetes medicine no less than 4 hours prior to your exam.